Serious Sam Fusion 2017 is not a game. It is a central hub that unify all the Serious Sam titles on Steam, which also includes new features, such as crossplay between VR players and HD version players in online mode. At the moment, only Serious Sam: The First Encounter will support this crossplay feature as this is the only title to have both HD and VR versions being released. Serious Sam: The Second Encounter and Serious Sam: The BFE doesn’t have this feature, as the VR versions of these 2 titles are not released yet (Only the HD version is out). Serious Sam: The Last Hope is a VR exclusive.
What does it do?
Serious Sam Fusion 2017 will enable a lot of cool new features, like a common workshop and cross-game mods. All of the games can be started from one application, so you can jump between playing The First Encounter level to a Serious Sam 3 level and back without exiting the game. When listing game servers, servers playing TFE, TSE, SS3 – will all appear in the same list and you can vote map across games if you want. Oh, and VR games will be able to be played in multiplayer together with their flat counterparts!
Since there are so many changes and exciting new features, we’ll just go ahead a list them here as bullet points.
Cool new features in Serious Sam Fusion 2017
- All games now support SteamOS/Linux/OSX!
- 64bit executables
- Support for Vulkan API (DirectX9 is now being removed)
- Multithreaded rendering
- The new “light-weight” savegame system – savegames are now saved much faster, are very small and stored in the Steam cloud, and savegames still work even if a level is changed in a patch, or if a mod is updated
- Full support for all controllers including Steam controller, PS4 gamepads, all older DInput joysticks
- Proper multimonitor support
- Borderless window support
- Customizable sound outputs
- Proper 3D audio using a proprietary sound-mixer (the same approach as used in the old Classic games)
- Improved physics engine with better handling of character movement
- Texture streaming in all games
- Much better modding support with customizable weapons and items, improved scripting (including better support for scripting networked games)
- Lots of other improvements, optimizations and fixes